Valerie A. Whitlock
Valerie A. Whitlock grew up in Hodgenville, Kentucky, a small rural community surrounded by family. In addition to being President Abraham Lincoln's birthplace, five generations of Whitlocks have called Hodgenville "home" and have lived in "Whitlock Holler," where her great-grandparents bought the land and quickly filled it with their eleven children. Valerie has fond memories of growing up in a tight-knit community and enjoys going home to visit, especially with both her maternal and paternal grandparents living so close by and enjoying their retirement, after their countless years as factory workers, a nurse, and a homemaker, respectively. As an exceptional athlete in high school, Valerie was a state track champion in the 800-meter run and named the 2011 Kentucky Wendy's High School Heisman. She was also chosen to play in both the Kentucky East-West All-Star Basketball and Kentucky East-West All-Star Softball series. Valerie credits her athletic experience with teaching her discipline, perseverance, and the grit needed to fight for her clients.
Valerie also has an identical twin sister who is a Physical Therapist in Louisville, Kentucky. Growing up as a twin was a unique and almost indescribable experience, and Valerie values the close bond she shares with her sister. Valerie's mother stayed home with Valerie and her sister Lyndsay before working as a dental assistant at a family dentistry office. She then went to the community college in Elizabethtown for her degree in respiratory care. She continued her education part-time while working full-time, obtaining her MBA and was promoted to manager and later director at the community hospital where she continues to lead her team in the care of respiratory patients. Valerie's father went to the University of Kentucky and was a member of the Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity, which he found meshed well with his Future Farmers of America background and love of sports and good music. He has worked at a community bank with branches in Hodgenville and Bardstown for over twenty-five years where he currently serves as a senior vice president and lending officer and enjoys meeting with families in the community every day. Valerie's upbringing instilled in her a strong work ethic, a deep respect for community, and an unwavering commitment to helping others.
Valerie earned her law degree from the University of Kentucky, where she excelled academically and actively participated in many organizations, including trial advocacy and moot court. She also holds a Master's degree in diplomacy from the Patterson School of Diplomacy and International Commerce, giving her a unique perspective on negotiating and advocating for others. Valerie earned her Bachelor's degree in international affairs from Transylvania University, which is the place that sparked her love for Lexington and afforded her with many close friendships from her membership in Delta Delta Delta sorority. Valerie also was on the Women's Basketball Team from 2011-2012. During her undergraduate years, Valerie spent her summers working for the Kentucky 4-H Camping program.
In her free time, she enjoys cheering the Kentucky Wildcats, reading books, watching the latest Netflix show, spending time with her family, and savoring every moment with her lab mix from the humane society. She also enjoys exploring new cities with her friends and spending time with her boyfriend Nic, who is a senior accountant for a bridge beam fabrication company in Lexington, where they both currently live.
- University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky
- J.D. - 05/2021
- University of Kentucky Patterson School of Diplomacy and International Commerce
- M.A. - 12/2016
- Major: Diplomacy, National Security and Intelligence
- Minor: Diplomacy
- Transylvania University
- B.A. - 05/2015
- Major: International Affairs
- Frost Brown Todd, Louisville, KY, January 2022-2023, Staff Attorney
- Franklin Circuit Judge Phillip Shepherd, Frankford, KY, September-December 2021, Staff Attorney
- Honor Council , Class Representative
- American Constitution Society, Vice President
- Women's Law Caucus , Treasurer
- Moot Court Board and Trial Advocacy Board
- Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society Philanthropy , Officer
- Student Government Association, Senator
- Student Affairs Committee
- Public Relations Committee
- Delta Delta Delta, Vice President of Membership Development
- Transylvania University 100 Doors to Sucess , Mentor
- Bluegrass Community Foundation (BGCF365 philanthropist/donor)
- Kentucky, 2021
- Young Lawyers Division
- Best Appellate Brief Award
- Best Oral Advocate Award in Legal Writing Club