What steps should I take after a crash with a semi-truck?

If you have gotten into a collision with a semi, there are a few things you can do to help yourself. Initially, it’s very important for you to seek medical attention. The injuries that people suffer in these types of crashes are often severe and may require surgery or other medical interventions.

After you are able to seek medical attention, there are a few other things you can do to help get the compensation you need out of your personal injury claim.

Step 1: Write down anything you can remember

The first step to take after seeking medical attention is to write down as much information about the collision as you can remember. Over time, your memory may begin to fade, so it’s necessary to write down the details of the crash as soon as you can.

Step 2: Get to know your legal rights

After you write down everything you can think of, you may want to get to know your legal rights. This is when you can reach out to an attorney and begin looking into making a personal injury claim. Let the attorney know everything you can about the truck crash. If you have photos or videos from the scene, such as if you have a dash cam in your vehicle, then keep those for your attorney.

Step 3: Keep good documentation

After you give your initial documents and evidence to the attorney, you should continue to keep and forward copies of medical bills or diagnoses to the attorney for review. They’ll use those to help make a personal injury claim as solid as possible, so they can seek compensation of an appropriate amount.

Step 4: Continue to focus on your recovery

Your health comes first, so place the heaviest focus on your recovery. Your attorney can keep in contact with you to give you updates about settlement offers or the potential for going to trial. Your priority should be to get the treatment you need, so you can recovery while the case is settled.

These are four steps to remember after a semi-truck crash. With the right support, you can move forward and make a claim for the compensation you deserve.


FindLaw Network