Fatal motor vehicle accidents may stem from drunk driving

A young girl’s life was recently snuffed out in a Kentucky car accident, leaving her surviving loved ones to grieve and wonder how her life could have ended so soon. Sometimes these types of motor vehicle accidents occur due to the negligent or reckless driving of another individual. In the situation involving the young girl, the man who police said caused her crash was reportedly driving while intoxicated, and as a result, he has been taken into custody.

The accident took place along Kentucky 259 a little before 7:30 p.m. on a Tuesday. Authorities said that the man was headed south along the highway in a car. All of a sudden, he reportedly entered a northbound car’s path and crashed into it.

The man’s car rolled over and then came to a halt upside down. Meanwhile, the second car, which was carrying a 7-year-old girl, left the roadway before stopping. The girl ended up passing away due to the injuries she suffered in the accident. Meanwhile, a man and a woman in the second car suffered injuries deemed to be life-threatening. The man who allegedly caused the accident due to drinking and driving now faces charges of driving drunk (for the second time), assault in the second degree (two accounts) and murder.

The girl’s surviving family members may opt to file a wrongful death claim against the man who is facing criminal charges, seeking the reimbursement of monetary damages sustained due to the fatal car accident. In addition, the two adults injured in the second car may file personal injury claims against the man. If the man is later convicted on his criminal charges, proof of this may be presented in civil court with the goal of establishing liability per se before the court. Once liability is established in civil court, claims for specific items of monetary damages will be adjudicated. A damage award in a successfully fought lawsuit may help to cover funeral costs, hospital bills and other losses associated with these types of motor vehicle accidents in Kentucky.


FindLaw Network