Hicks & Funfsinn, PLLC - hicks and funfsinn, pllc
Call Today for a free Consultation

Local: 859.777.7000 | Spanish: 859.533.8270

You May Have Many Questions After Suffering An Injury

Suffering an injury can be an uncertain time. Whether your injury was the result of a motor vehicle accident or a fall on someone else's property, the aftermath following an injury can be confusing and stressful to navigate alone.

Our attorneys at Hicks & Funfsinn, PLLC, can assist with any concerns you have either immediately after an accident or throughout the process of pursuing legal action against the at-fault party. Read on for responses to some of our most frequently asked questions on personal injury cases:

If I Was Injured In An Accident, Can I Still Pursue Damages If I Was Partially At Fault?

Yes, however, you may receive less in damages. Kentucky follows comparative negligence rules, which considers the amount that you were at fault in any settlement amount or jury verdict. For example, if you were 10 percent at-fault for a car accident and the other driver was 90 percent at-fault, and the available damages amounted to $10,000, you would receive an award of $9,000.

Why Would I Need An Attorney's Help To File An Insurance Claim After An Injury?

The insurance company will likely attempt to either deny or minimize your claim from the start to pay you as little as possible in hopes of settling your claim short of litigation. An attorney can assist in ensuring you receive the full amount that you are entitled to, as well as searching for other avenues of recovery if one insurance policy does not cover your damages.

How Soon After I Have Been Injured Do I Have To Pursue Legal Action?

Generally, the sooner you speak to an attorney and get represented, the stronger your case will be. We understand there may be circumstances where the full extent of your injuries were not immediately realized or appreciated. However, you do need to consider the statute of limitations. This dictates the time limit to file a lawsuit. The deadline for personal injury cases in Kentucky is typically one year from the date of a slip and fall or trip and fall and two years after a motor vehicle accident. However, there are often carve outs and exceptions. That's why it is extremely important that you contact us as soon as possible after an accident that resulted in any injuries.

Will I Have To Go To Court?

It depends. Negotiated settlements resolve many personal injury cases. In those cases, rather than going to court, you receive the damages you are owed sooner after the accident than if a lawsuit is required. However, it is certainly possible for an insurance company's settlement offer to fall short. Should this occur, filing a lawsuit may be in your best interest to fully and fairly compensate you for the medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages you have suffered.

Get Your Questions Answered By An Experienced Attorney

Our lawyers are here to address your concerns and help you recover a full and fair settlement. Schedule a free initial consultation at our offices in Lexington or Harrodsburg or anywhere in Kentucky. Contact us by calling us at 859-777-7000 or reaching out to us online. Hablamos español.


How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Fayette County Location
431 South Broadway
Suite 331
Lexington, Kentucky 40508

Phone: 859.533.8270
Phone: 859.777.7000
Fax: 859.787.0514
Lexington Law Office Map

Mercer County Location
111 Short Street
Lawyer's Row
Harrodsburg, Kentucky 40330

Phone: 859.533.8270
Phone: 859.777.7000
Fax: 859.787.0514
Map & Directions

Hicks & Funfsinn, PLLC - hicks and funfsinn, pllc